Dance Lessons are Life Lessons
Many parents don’t get it; well, many girls don’t get it (yet) either. There’s so much more to being a dancer than the physical act of dancing. As with any sport, especially competitive sports, there are inherent lessons learned along the way – commitment, team work, etc. Other lessons have a personal effect and often must be realized by the individual rather than taught. For me, these lessons made the difference in growing as a person through my experience in dance. 1. Be motivated, not jealous. Guilty! When I saw a girl that could get her leg up to her face, I resented her for it. When I saw a dancer do eight consecutive pirouettes, I was envious. It took many years as a dancer to learn that no amount of jealousy would make me better. Even today, I still catch myself falling into old habits. But what I realized is that dancers who are better than me should be inspirational – I shouldn’t take it personally that someone is a stronger dancer th...

Comments
Post a Comment